Pages

Monday, June 9, 2014

Let's Talk About.. Bulletproof Coffee

I am a Starbucks Junkee.  I go there every day.  I say I don’t need it and I can stop anytime, and then I look up and I’m in the parking lot.  It has some fiendish hold on me and I believe I’ve been bewitched!

One of my co-workers has been drinking Bulletproof Coffee every morning and swears it is the best thing since homemade, gluten-free, sliced bread.   I envisioned coffee that, when consumed, made you bulletproof. Unless you’re a police office (or a drug dealer), I couldn’t see the benefit. 

I asked him what was in it and he said, “upgraded coffee, unsalted grass-fed butter and coconut oil.” Sounded…. fatty.  And what the heck was upgraded coffee?  He said it gave him energy and is helping him lose weight.  I was skeptical.  He added that consuming fat in the morning teaches your body to burn fat instead of carbohydrates.

Wait.  WHAT?  (Somewhere, I heard a record needle scratch)  As a diabetic, I immediately perked up.

What sorcery was this??

So, I looked it up. There is an awful lot of buzz about it on the interwebs.  It seems to be the latest trend in coffee.  I wonder if Starbucks sells it?

The Ingredients:
  • Upgraded coffee
  • Unsalted grass-fed butter
  • MCT oil or Coconut Oil
  • Blender
This mystical beverage begins with upgraded coffee. That’s just coffee low in mycotoxins.  Oh sheesh.  Another word I had to look up.  Mycotoxin is a form of fungi. They make their way into coffee by adhering to dried coffee beans.  They are incorporated into the process of grinding and roasting the beans and eventually may end up in your cup.  While fungus isn’t something we usually need to worry about (i.e. mushrooms) mycotoxins can cause several negative side effects:  First and foremost, you simply will not feel as good after drinking a cup of coffee with mycotoxins as you will after drinking one that is free of them.  Additionally, these substances can cause diseases that affect your liver, kidneys, smooth muscles, and digestive tract.

You can get upgraded coffee at Trader Joes and Whole Foods.   I’m sure it’s sold elsewhere, but I haven’t done the research for it yet.   I’m busy looking up definitions of silly sounding words to work into this article, so, I’m swamped.

Next up is the unsalted grass-fed butter.   USE NOTHING ELSE.  You do not want salty coffee and why on earth would you put that nasty margarine in your magical potion?  Grass-fed butter is loaded with Vitamin K2, which is optimal for heart health, and Omega-3 fatty acid.  It’s also loaded with Butyrate, a short-chain fatty acid that helps fight inflammation.  And those sweet cows get to chew on yummy grass instead of disgusting corn or soy based chow from a trough.
Happy Cows = Happy Butter.

Lastly, MCT Oil or Coconut Oil.  The benefits of coconut oil or MCT oil include better brain function, improved metabolism and sustained energy.   It contains Lauric Acid which can kill harmful pathogens It can also kill your hunger which could lead to weight loss (especially belly fat).  Other health benefits may include reducing seizures, improved cholesterol levels and lowering your risk of Heart Disease.

The Brewing: Double, Double, Toil and Trouble….
  • A lot of sites suggest brewing your upgraded coffee using filtered water with 2-1/2 heaping tablespoons of freshly ground upgraded coffee beans and using a French Press or Coffee Cone.   I think I’ll start with just my plain old coffee maker. 
  • Add 1-2 tablespoons of grass-fed, unsalted butter or ghee.
  • Add 1-2 tablespoon of Coconut Oil or MCT Oil.
  • Mix in a blender for 20-30 seconds until it is frothy.
I did try a sip of my co-worker’s coffee this morning and I really liked it. Will this spectral sarsaparilla help me lose weight?  Who knows? Will it reduce my cholesterol levels (that came back much too high and left me vacillating between fits of rage and uncontrollable crying)?  Maybe?  Will it help break my Starbucks addiction?  Hopefully.

All I know is that it’s dang good coffee. And I really need to break the Starbucks Curse!   If I could save myself $5 a day and get a little healthier, I’d call that a win.

Word of caution: It is recommended that you start with small doses. While your mind may benefit immediately with the new buttery concoction, your innards and arse may not!




Patra Philips
patra.philips@sbcglobal.net
Live Happy, Healthy, and Wealthy!


Like this article?  Won't you PRETTY PLEASE subscribe so you won't miss the next one?

Subscribe to Team PlexiBeast by Email

No comments:

Post a Comment